If you've spent any time on social media recently you've probably seen a Tiktok/IG reel with that song: can we skip to the good part?
I'm all for the song and the feel good vibes of it. Seriously. But lately I've been feeling the pressure to finally get to the good part of my life.
Can you relate?
We feel pressure to look at our past and present as the "in-between" in our lives. It's the time where we're building for the future good part - the time where we'll finally be happy and confident and successful and surrounded by people who love us and support us. We feel pressure to finally skip to the good part.
But... today IS the good part.
There are definitely amazing days ahead of you BUT to discount TODAY as being "in-between" time in your life… you are forgetting what is the good part. Today is the good part. And tomorrow will be another good part.
We need to hit pause on this idea that today - the work, the grind, the ups and downs, the sadness, breakups, starting over, etc. - is something worthy of skipping past… in order to get to the good part.
With some exceptions of course... I don’t think there’s much in life that’s worth skipping. When you get older you’re going to look back and you're going to say: that WAS the good part. Why did I think that was worth skipping?
Today is the good part.
- The good part of your life is a random Tuesday after you go to the gym and you walk back slowly and the sun is setting and it’s quiet and you're just feeling yourself.
- The good part of your life is a random team bonding work happy hour that turns into a fun night.
- The good part of your life is Friday when your friends cancel plans at the last minute and you enjoy a bubble bath and Netflix night to yourself.
- The good part of your life is when you can only afford rent and maybe a couple of nights out but things are just simple. You live within your means and you enjoy it. You appreciate the experiences you can afford.
- The good part of your life is when you have goals and dreams and you’re just getting started. I know that sounds a bit patronizing but time shows you that THESE days are the good part!
That's life for ya... it has to be lived moving forward but can only be understood backwards.
The best days of our lives ARE the in-between days.
Between good and bad. Between happy and sad. Between entry level and boss level. Between barely paying rent and finally getting your dream home.
The good part IS the in-between part. The good part in your life comes and goes rather unnoticed and you only realize it looking back.
But if you can remind yourself of that fact, you can move yourself to say today is the good part. I’m not skipping this.
These are the days you’ll look back on and you’ll feel a special kind of way towards them. Nostalgic. Peaceful. Appreciating the simplicity. The beginnings. The hard work.
They might go unnoticed when you’re living them but in retrospect and with honesty you’ll realize these days were the good part.
The good part of your life is the part YOU decide is the good part.
You can have a ton of work to do, things you want to accomplish, big goals, a long bucket list, things you want to prove, etc.… but it’s up to you to decide what is the good part.
Personally I’ve decided - after a long time of saying it’s in the future - today is the good part. The slowness, the simplicity, the small laughs, the morning coffee, the to-do list, the new beginnings...
Amidst everything I want and still don’t have.. this is the good part and I hope you join me in saying the same.