There is no right way to be human.
There is no right way to be happy or successful.
In fact, I’ve learned that there is no right way but there is a wrong way. The wrong way is to think that there’s a right way.
I really believe there’s only one true mistake you can make in life and that's to think there’s a right way to live… a right way to love, a right way to succeed and so on.
That’s the only mistake you can make.
Know that there is no right way to be a human.
- There is no right way to be a 22 year old, a 28 year old, a 32 year old, a 40 year old or a 50 year old.
- There is no one right way to be single.
- There is no one right way to be in a relationship.
- There is no one right way to succeed in your career, to find your passion or to find your purpose.
- There is no one right way to become confident in yourself, to love yourself or to be happy.
Not to sound like a broken record, but here’s how I understand life:
- Just because someone is a 10 and in great shape doesn’t mean that’s the right way.
- Just because someone had a headline written about them don't mean that’s the right way.
- Just because someone was promoted doesn't mean that’s the right way.
- Just because someone found love on a dating app doesn't mean that’s the right way.
- Just because someone quit their job to start their own business doesn't mean that’s the right way.
Know that, do your thing and ignore everything else.
All you can ask of yourself is to keep your eyes open and your heart eager.
Believe in possibilities, keep trying new things and figure out for yourself what is right and what is wrong.
Know that the choices you make in life are more important than your abilities right now. It’s easy to look at other people being happy and successful and think they have some magical ability that you don’t.
I’ve learned that people who find their place and their sense of self in life… they didn’t become that way because they have some ability you don’t. They’re not smarter or funnier or more talented than you. They simply know that the choices they make are more important than their ability. They know that they have the power of choice.
And that pushes them to make decisions for themselves each and every day until they get it right… by their own definition.
There is no right timeline for when you have to be successful, married, own a house, etc.
There are so many ways to find love. You can find it at 17, 25, 45 ,65. On an app, at a farmer’s market, at the club.
There are so many ways to make money. Look at me… I’m just a dudebroguy talking about his feelings online. There are people making money live streaming eating pasta. There are people making more money in their careers than they ever thought possible.
There are so many ways to be happy. You can find happiness in your own way - working out, traveling the world, writing, drawing, creating, sharing your passions, trying new things.
There are so many ways to be successful. You can find your version of success by making money, by making impact, by being influential, by being philanthropic, by being kind.
To think there’s only one right way because you saw someone else found their own definition is bananas!
Realize that there is no right way.
Free yourself from that assumption and you’ll free yourself to find out what’s right for you.
As long as you live your life with open eyes and an eager heart… you are right!